Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Another move.

Sometimes life throws some interesting twists and turns into the mix and this is one of those times for me.

In January I felt SO strongly that it was time for a change and that I needed to move home. Part of me was thrilled because I really was in a rut and felt like I didn't fit where I was. I saved money, sorted through my things, got rid of half of my stuff and filled my days with family and friends. Even as I left, although sad, I felt again that I was doing the right thing.

I got to Maryland and felt out of sorts, all the while feeling like I had done the right thing. I have enjoyed time with my family and some friends, have had some time to relax which I found was needed and overall just felt safe. During all of these great things I still didn't feel like things were meshing. I wasn't able to find a job even with hours and hours of searching and applying. I was enjoying my ward but didn't feel settled and no matter how hard I prayed I couldn't figure out if I should stay in MD or if I should look for jobs in VA/DC or somewhere else.

Then everything changed. About a week and a half ago a friend called to tell me that there is a job available in her department at a great company and her boss wanted me to apply. The catch? It's in Utah...

I prayed hard and felt like I should just send my resume and see what would happen. I had been told that interviews would take place in a week. That afternoon my friends boss called and offered me the job. I took some time to make the decision and then accepted the job the next day. As sure as I felt that I needed to move to Maryland, I felt just as sure that I need to move back. I know that I'm doing what I am supposed to do but that doesn't take away personal doubts and the question of why it happened this way.

I also have a lot of fear, which never makes me happy. I've been afraid to tell people that I'm going back because it seems so foolish. It was a HUGE deal for me to leave my home of 8 years and now I'm just going back? I had a big going away party, many goodbyes and now I'm going back? Most of the people I said goodbye to probably wouldn't have noticed I was gone since we only hang out every couple of months anyway. I am being reminded constantly that I shouldn't worry about what other people will think and yet I can't get it out of my head. As more positive responses come it is becoming easier for me.

The other thing I am afraid of is the rut. I was so unhappy with my life and now I'm going back? I didn't feel like I fit where I was but I don't feel like I fit where I am either. I want to be somewhere that I really feel like I can be completely myself and also be around people that help me to want to be better. I refuse to move back to Provo. (I probably shouldn't say that...) I did my time and now I'm done. Orem still seems a little too close. Sandy is looking quite appealing although a bit far away, I'm not too concerned about it. I want this clean slate to be filled with new positive things.

I am so excited about my job and I am excited to be near a lot of the people that I love very much. I'm sad to leave most of my family and some wonderful friends behind but I feel such hope for this new adventure and plus, Maryland is home, I'll always come back.

There we have it, more big news from the life of Beth. If I cry wolf again and move somewhere else, don't worry, I won't post it here. I think I'll probably just leave in the night and not tell a soul.

5 comments:

Carrie said...

Listen, we all KNOW life throws us twists and turns! No one is thinking anything but happy thoughts for you! I, especially am happy because we hung out that one time and I wanted to hang out again and again and it didn't work out. So since you'll be out here again we need to change that about us, ok?? Because I don't know about you, but I really enjoyed being with my Beth again - even though its been years and years, honestly, you have grown a lot more than me!! So lets right that wrong this time! I am super excited for you! Especially if you do live in Sandy area because we will be in MIdvale! Just 15 minutes from Sandy! Where is your job going to be?? I love you tons! Don't ever feel bad about important life decisions - they are hard enough to make without worrying about others!

Chris said...

Hooray for you! and us! Orem is close to Provo, but not a part of Provo at all. We noticed that we actually don't make it "in" to Provo too often anymore, since Orem has everything we need/use anyway. But for sure, further North is gonna be even more different. Either way, glad to hear you'll be closer, even if we don't see you all that often.

hOLLIANN said...

Welcome back! Utah will be a better place!

merrilykaroly said...

everybody loves parties and seeing people they haven't seen in a while, so you should be glad you had an excuse to throw a going away party :). how exciting that you have a job!! in this economy any job you feel good about is suuuch a blessing. welcome back! we've been trying to leave Utah for a while now, but it seems like an impossible feat :)

Amber said...

Good luck with everything! Sorry I didn't get to meet up with you while you were here in MD :(