Friday, January 02, 2009

Old Year New Year...

Here is the obligatory end of the year beginning of the year post all wrapped in one. I'm running a little behind on all of this because my mom is here and right now being with my mom, sister, brother-in-law and nephew is pretty much the only thing I want to do. But here I sit, waiting to hear from a friend about plans for tonight.

2008 was a great year. I learned a lot about myself and about where I want my life to go and how to get it there. I learned self control in many aspects of life. I went on a dream trip to Boston and it more then lived up to my expectations. I said goodbye to some wonderful people and was surprised by the emptiness I felt from saying those goodbye's and was left (this part isn't over yet) to figure out what I need to change in my life to fill that emptiness with good things. I spent time with family and friends. Grew closer to some friends and felt distant from others. I started the process of learning how to play the piano. I lost 35lbs (yeah that's right I said it.) I made new friends at work over a range of ages. I began the process of learning how to be more gentle with myself. And so much more...

I have high hopes for 2009. I want a lot of positive changes to come and I feel like I am ready for it. Sometimes I laugh when people make such a big deal about a new year and all of the changes that they want to make. I always say that I am constantly trying to change things and improve, and while that is sort of true I am grateful for this new year. I think I understand what everyone means by getting a fresh start. I want a fresh start. There are several aspects of my life where I am ready for a change and I want that to happen or begin happening, this year. Last year was a great year. I feel like I really grew and changed more this year then I have in quite awhile and that gives me hope for 2009 as well. I now know that I'm strong enough to take control of my life and I plan to keep on that path.

Some things I want to do this year:
-Live alone...far fetched but I will do everything I can to make it happen.
-Work hard at my WW goals and along with that work on my confidence
-Begin figuring out what I really want to do for the rest of my life (because editing the phonebook isn't it) and make steps to make that happen.
-Take better care of myself emotionally. I tend to put others before myself quite often (yes I know that sounds conceited but I feel it has gotten me where I am now and I'm not okay with all aspects of where I am now.) and I really want to figure out a balance. I still want to be me. I still want to care about people but I don't want to care so much that when that love isn't acknowledged or appreciated I am left with an aching heart and a mind that won't stop trying to figure out what I need to do to make that person care about me as much as I care about them. In addition to that, I need to figure out how to be able to talk about how I'm feeling. I have pretty much stopped doing that over the last few months and although my friends are probably grateful it is causing me a lot of pain. I have to figure out where I really can turn to be able to get these emotions and thoughts out in a safe place. Whether it be on my knees in my room, or to a friend or family member or a combination of all of them, it needs to happen.
-Really figure out Scentsy and how to boost my business while enjoying what I do and meeting new people.
-Save more money.

There is obviously much more, most of which are a bit more personal. But there you have it. My hopes for 2009. Now, an assignment for you. My roommates and I used to come up with a goofy slogan for a new year (usually something ridiculous like "Find a mate in 2008"). I want a slogan for this year. It doesn't have to be goofy, but it can be. Any suggestions?

Oh and there are pictures to come from my adventures of late but my camera cord is at my sisters.

4 comments:

Beth's Aunt said...

Feelin' fine in 2009

Mine all mine in 2009

Yours and mine in 2009

Whine and dine in 2009

:-)

Carrie said...

This may sound a little selfish, but how about "Take care of mine in 2009"? It has a few meanings to it too. It can be taking care of yourself in the ways you listed and it can even mean taking care of your friends too. But the "mine" of it makes you have to narrow down who is included in it. Ya know? I'll keep thinking!

Brian said...

If you want, we could see if we could get your pictures on my computer when I come visit you this week for our HAIRSPRAY party! My computer doesn't need a cord, as strange as that sounds...

Josh said...

I love your list of things to do in 2009. You've always impressed me with your desire to become better. I think it's a desire that everyone has but lots of people give up working on. It feels too hard sometimes. Maybe it feels hard cause a lot of the time it feels like you walk in circles more than you reach the top of a mountain. But I guess we don't realize that we are usually on a spiral moving carefully upward preparing us for the top.

Beth, you're awesome.