Thursday, September 04, 2008

Thinking of home...

I have lived in Utah for 7 years. Can you believe it? Yeah, me neither. I realized today that besides the first 4 months of my time in Utah and then other random weeks and months throughout those 7 years I haven't really felt homesick. I miss my family and my home but it hasn't been an overwhelming feeling for more then a day or two here and there. Today was a good day for me. A great day in fact. I don't talk about work on my blog and I'm not planning to start, but I just have to say that some things that I have worked very hard for and have wanted very much over the last 3 1/2 years came about today. Not fully, but the beginnings of it and I am thrilled. My first break was spent on the phone with my mom because I couldn't wait to tell her. Later I talked to my sister and told her the good news and after work called my Aunt to tell her. I couldn't WAIT to tell my family about this achievement. I told a few friends as well and they were supportive and excited with me but I have to say that it's the days like this one that I miss home the most. My family can celebrate, let me tell you. Birthday's are a huge deal. Accomplishments are always celebrated and relatives are called. I had a taste of that today as I talked to my family members and they were so happy for me and then received a call from Sassy saying "Gran said I should call you". And all the while I just kept thinking that I wished they were here or I was there. Sassy told me to celebrate tonight. Many of you will probably think "Celebrate the discussion of something that probably, might, could, maybe, possibly happen?" Yes, celebrate. That's what we do. I don't think there will be any celebrating going on tonight besides a movie with my roommates, but it fills me with joy to know that my family is celebrating with me. I know they are proud of me and that they are excited to see me receive the recognition I deserve after years of hard work. I have the greatest family in the world. We have our quirks, our weaknesses, our arguments but we love each other a whole lot. I can't wait for December and spending Christmas at home with my wonderful family. There it is, the long awaited ode to my family. The people that matter the most to me and that receive the least recognition.

1 comment:

Jon and Chelle said...

Awww, I love your family! Ok, so I really only know your mom and Sarah, but since you're family in part made you who you are, I love them all!