Sunday, August 31, 2008

"We need a man" -Beth "Yeah, to light our fire." -Rachel

Gosh we're funny. Really we are. That quote I put in the subject line made me laugh until I cried. Need a little background? I thought so. We have been in our new apartment since Tuesday evening. We love it, it's completely trashed because we have a lot of crap, but it's home! Somehow, someone (ehem...me) gave the gas company the wrong apartment number. We didn't figure this out until late Wednesday afternoon and, because the local gas company is all about teaching people lessons they said that since it was my fault (don't worry they "researched" it. Went to the calls from the day before and listened to my phone call to make sure it really was my fault) they wouldn't come out until the next day. Yes, I learned my lesson oh large, very rich gas company. And yes, you can have my measly $15 because I put you out in such a horrible way. Okay, so back on track. Thursday comes around, we're supposed to get a notice on our door saying it has been turned on but of course there is no such notice. I called the gas company and they said our gas was turned on. Unfortunately our management company is only open until 5 so, another day no hot water. Is anyone keeping track of how many days it has been since we had HOT showers? It's 3. Here we are, it's Friday. Rachel calls our management company and big shock, they don't answer!!! She left a voicemail asking to have our pilot light turned on. We're not allowed to do it ourselves, you see. We get home on Friday (after 5 of course) and still no hot water. Management company never came, awesome! Rachel and I pretty much resigned ourselves to a weekend of cold showers at this point. Saturday morning, enter cold shower #5. I can't take it anymore. This is where the above quote comes in. We didn't dare light the pilot on our own because of that whole open flame near gas thing. Not especially appealing to us. We needed a man. And, of course, Rach gave me the laugh I needed with her "Yeah, to light our fire" comment. Ahh man I love my roommate! And yes, I love my other roommate too, because she isn't afraid to call the emergency maintenance line for our Management company at 10:30 at night so that we could have hot showers on Sunday. That's right...HOT showers!!

Do you feel this story was too long and drawn out? Welp, too bad for you. I'm the one that took 5 cold showers this week...

4 comments:

hOLLIANN said...

Ha! That was funny! Not the cold showers, but the story. Good thing you have great roomies!

Shauna Malia said...

Oh man! I'm so glad there's someone else in the world who shares my opinion on our RIDICULOUS gas company!! Holy moses... they are the worst people to work with! And yes, as always, nothing is ever their fault. They "researched"...

I'm glad you finally got warm showers!! I can't wait to see your new digs sometime!

merrilykaroly said...

I hate cold showers! What a trooper.

Corinne said...

Do you remember the time our pilot light went out and we had to take cold showers? And I called maintenance in my classic overdramatic way and told them that we had to be clean for church so they needed to come fix it right away? I called them like that a lot, and they always came. I think they were afraid I was a crazy person! haha. Memories...