Sunday, July 06, 2008

4th of July!

One of my friends loves my blogs SO much that they specifically asked for a blog about the 4th. I was getting there, I promise.

Since moving to Utah the 4th has become one of my favorite holidays for two reasons, the first is fireworks, I love them and enjoy them sooo much more when it's not humid and I'm not being eaten by bugs while trying to watch them. The second is a tradition that has come about with my 136th ward friends. While we were in the ward the Chrystlers had us over for the 4th every year. They have a great view of the stadium so we could see the fireworks without having to be right on top of everything. They would have a barbecue for us and everyone would just hang out for hours. They also would buy a huge box of fireworks and some of the guys would set them off, sometimes to the point that they're more impressive then the real fireworks. After we left the ward we started to invite ourselves over and has stayed a tradition of ours. We missed last year and I must say my 4th was incredibly uneventful.

This year was a little different, less people & some renovations on the house made it so we couldn't watch fireworks from the hill but it was still fabulous. I had a great time seeing old friends, including our old Bishop & his wife who are like family to me. We had a delicious cook out followed by chatting and then Sidewalk of Fire!! Yeaaah! Ben & I went in together and bought a big box of fireworks and it was so fun watching him light them all. I must say, it just wasn't the same without BJ & Emmy, BJ always helped Ben light the fireworks & watching them was often more fun then the fireworks. BJ & Emmy live on the east coast now and we miss them. Here are some pictures of the fireworks.I really love getting together with my 136th ward friends & their significant others and I am grateful for the love & friendship we share. I know I could call on any one of those people if I needed help and they would be there in an instant. In that way, they are like family, and I feel truly blessed to know I have that even when I'm away from most of my own family.

After Sidewalk of Fire we chatted until the Stadium of Fire fireworks started. They were really good this year and we still had a really good view from the Chrystlers driveway. Overall it was a fabulous 4th of July. If I ever leave this town I think this is one of the things I will miss the most.

1 comment:

Corinne said...

What a fun 4th of July tradition! You always make me wish I was there to share in the old 136th ward fun. You know how I feel about where I am now, and I wish I had friends as awesome as you do that were close by. And I miss the Bishop! so fun!