Friday, November 28, 2008

Ahh I love that I spent this whole day thinking that tomorrow is Sunday and having to remind myself over and over again that it is in fact only Saturday! It really is a fantastic feeling. Although I made sure to get all of my Saturday stuff done today so now I don't have any Saturday stuff to do tomorrow. I'm pretty okay with that though.

Tonight I decided to go up to Sandy to check out the Christmas decorations at Tai Pan Trading. I love that place. They have fabulous seasonal decor all year round and a lot of it is pretty reasonably priced as well. Not everything, but a lot. I was in search of a cranberry wreath and Tai Pan did not disappoint. The first thing I saw when I walked in was a display with 3 different cranberry wreaths on it. And then all throughout the store I found more options. I found one that I liked a lot and then found a little one that I liked even more. One of the fun things about Tai Pan is that you get to search for things. Everything doesn't have a set place. I found the little wreath sitting with a bunch of larger ones and then went in search of more. I got lucky and found them on the floor under a shelf behind two fake poinsettia's. How they caught my eye I will never know. But I do know that they were only $4 each and I got three of them to hang with ribbon at different lengths in the sliding door that goes to the balcony. Oh, and I got the larger one for the front door also. I'm pretty excited to put up a few decorations tomorrow. :) I can't do much because it isn't my own place but I can do my little part that will make me happy and then my roommates can add what they like as well.

After Tai Pan I decided to go up to Temple Square to see the Christmas lights. They always turn them on the day after Thanksgiving and although I knew it would be busy I wanted to see them and didn't want to wait until I could find someone to go with me. It was really busy as I expected but I really enjoyed the hustle & bustle. I love crowds this time of year. It makes no sense because usually they make me anxious but I love Christmas shopping on the busy days (like today) and I loved that I got to wander around Temple Square by myself and look at the lights.

It's always interesting to me the things that happen inside me after working many hours of overtime for a long period of time. It's always a little scary for me to face where my life is and to figure out what I need to change but it's a nice starting over period for me too. I think that if I just went along everyday the same way as the one before I would never really notice if I have progressed, gone backwards or stood still. It takes a big change, like suddenly having time to assess my life to realize the state it is in. I am happy to report that there are many things in my life that I am pleased with. Everything didn't go spinning out of control like it usually does when I work that much overtime, although some things did. I have a lot to learn and I have a lot to do to improve myself but that is part of life, and I look forward to the adventure (thank you Brian for that word...so much better then challenge or trial.)

I have enjoyed the few times in my life where I could step outside of myself and see that I have grown up. I feel like this is one of those times. This is a small thing but I can't think of a time that I would have thought to catch Trax, ride up to Salt Lake, walk around and then take Trax home, all alone. I like to be with people, don't get me wrong. I would have loved to do all of those things with a friend instead of alone but I'm grateful that I didn't just sit back and watch the opportunity pass me by because I was alone. I don't know how often or for how long I will be alone but I think it's a good thing to get used to. It doesn't hurt to be a little more independent, which isn't saying I don't need my family or friends. It just means that I can, every now and then, go and do something that I want to do even if I have no one to do it with.

So this is what it's like to be 25...weird.

1 comment:

Marina said...

i totally thought you would have had plans last night. I was going to call you because desi and I were in park city and salt lake like all day yesterday and i was thinking about more stuff to do becuase paco worked yesterday and last night :-( Next time I'll just go wiht my gut instinct!