Thursday, November 20, 2008

What makes Christmas Christmas?

I love this time of year because I get all warm and fuzzy inside and I feel such joy in silly little traditions!

When I feel "christmasy" It's usually because of a song or a movie. Growing up we listened to Bing Crosby, Dolly Parton & Kenny Rogers, & Vince Gill. There may have been others but those are the ones that really make me feel like it is Christmas. Especially B-b-b-Bing. When I hear "I'm...Dreaming of a whiiite Christmas." I am officially ready for the season!

The other thing that really tops it all off is movies. I love Christmas movies, whether it be ridiculously cheesy or spiritual or just plain amazing I love it. White Christmas is, by far, my favorite. Followed closely by Home Alone (the original...none of the sequels are even worth watching.) Growing up one of my favorites was Prancer. I haven't seen that in forever, I think it's time to watch it again. I do not like A Christmas Story. That stems from my childhood and I won't even give it another chance. I despise the fact that they play it for 24 hours a day on TBS around the week of Christmas. Ilch. Terrible.

Here is a clip from White Christmas that I absolutely love.



So, what makes you feel that warm fuzzy Christmas feeling? Is it music? Movies? Food? A certain smell? I love to hear the things that people grew up with that are Christmas for them.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Let me first say that I don't like A Christmas Story either! But for me Christmas starts the day after Thanksgiving (not including shopping - I like to have that ALL done before Thanksgiving). I put lights up in our one window and have an official turning on of the lights ceremony! =o) If I play it right i like those that to happen on Thanksgiving day. Then the day after Christmas all the decorations go up. And I mean Lots of decorations! I like it to transform the feeling in the house. I put garland everywhere. All of my current decorations go in a back room to make room for Christmas! Then the smells are important so I get one of those air fresheners, put out some pine cones (no real tree), peppermint! I don't listen to much Christmas music I think because I get annoyed at it starting during Halloween, but it does help during present wrapping, ya know during those times when you need an extra burst of Christmas. I also adore Christmas movies. I need Charlie Brown's Christmas, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Rudolph, Frosty, Elf!, adn the occasional TBS feel good movie. I love to wrap presents too! Fancy bows, coordinating wrapping paper! Fun stuff! None of this I grew up with! I started all these traditions for myself.

Something I did grow up with is driving around to see Christmas lights! Which I still love. And the Christmas parade where Santa comes to turn on the lights. its great!

Marina said...

So I totally can't stand a Christmas Story either. Mainly just because of how much they play it at Christmas. But what does make me excited for christmas is Driving around looking at the lights and decorations (which I used to do every year with my parent's as i was growing up) (and I still do it every year still since being out here). Also the movie "National Lampoons Christmas Vacation". Yea totally reminds me of what a Christmas would be like if my whole family got together!
Gotta love that! :-)