Saturday, November 15, 2008

"Gracias, danke, merci whatever language is spoken, 'thank you' frequently expressed will cheer your spirit, broaden your friendships, and lift your lives to a higher pathway as you journey toward perfection. There is a simplicity even a sincerity when 'thank you' is spoken."
--Thomas S. Monson, "The Profound Power of Gratitude," Ensign, Sept. 2005, 3


It's that time of year where we all begin to do a better job of showing gratitude. I try to be grateful all year but I know I have a long way to go too. I realize that I can be quite selfish at times. Instead of thinking how another person may feel or being grateful what people are doing for me I often just think about me. I realized yesterday that I want to be better. All of the time, not just during November & December. :) I always appreciate it when the people I care about tell me that they love or appreciate me so why wouldn't I do that as well? It's easy to forget to tell the people you are closest to that you appreciate everything they do. It's also easy, for me, to forget to express gratitude to people that I may not even know, or don't know very well. How many times during the day are people kind and I don't acknowledge it. Sure I always say thank you, but I bet my tone doesn't always show that I'm grateful. I love when I go to the grocery store and the checker is super friendly and helpful. Why not be the same way back to them?

Anyway, this is kind of random and I haven't had a lot of time to collect my thoughts on the matter but there it is. :) Above is a youtube video of one of my favorite songs on Josh Groban's Christmas album. It's called Thankful and it's kind of what started this whole tangent in my head. It's beautiful and served as a good reminder to me. :)

And, in the spirit of the holidays but more so the spirit of the joy of life, things I am grateful for today.

-Seeing Mamma Mia with my co-worker & friend Callie. I love that I can be friends with some of my co-workers outside of work as well.

-Getting my hair done so that I won't have to look at my nasty roots everyday. :)

-Knowing that a good friend is willing to make a sacrifice in order to make me happy & spend time with me, even though it really shouldn't be about me at all.

-Target. I love that place so much...soo much.

No comments: