Monday, November 17, 2008

Country Music & My Mom

Many of you know my mom. All of you that know her know how absolutely fantastic she is. It's impossible to miss. She's kind, incredibly loving, friendly, easy to talk to, funny, faithful, obedient, really good with kids especially children with disabilities and much more. No matter what is going on in my life or how long it has been since we talked last I know I can always count on her for advice, a fun conversation or a listening ear when I need to vent.

Now, since we all know how fantastic my mom is I want to tell you about something you may not know. But first, some background. On Saturday night I went to dinner with Al & Chris for their birthdays. We went to Texas Roadhouse which is a favorite that we don't get to go to a lot. It was a Saturday night and the place was crazy! A few times while we were there they put on some music really loud and the waiters would dance to it. I'm not ashamed to admit that I love country music. I go through phases where that is the only thing I listen to and it always makes me happy. Sadly, I don't have all of the good old stuff that we had when I was growing up so I was quite pleased when they started to play a Garth Brooks song at the restaurant. I love Garth Brooks. The first concert I went to (around the age of 8) was Garth Brooks and I remember being insanely happy. I also remember feeling like I wanted to cry and being very confused by that because I thought you only cry when you are sad and I was so happy! Those are big emotions for a little person. Anyway, the song that was playing made me miss my mom so much! I could actually hear her singing along in my head, that's how many times we have listened to it. My cute mom loves to sing. I love to sing also, but I don't have the blessing of sounding like my mom when I sing. She has a beautiful voice (I can pick it out from a choir) and some of my favorite memories (now, when I was little I just thought it was embarrassing.) are of our old house, when I was coming home from school and could hear country music blaring out of my house. We always knew it was cleaning day when the windows were wide open and the country music was blaring. Mom was always singing along and dancing sometimes too. It brings a smile to my face! I'm sure she still does it, I would hope so at least!

I know this blog is completely out there, but there are so many fun things about my mom that I think about this time of year because it's so close to when I get to see her. She has instilled in me a love for the holidays as well. I can't listen to Bing Crosby or Dolly & Kenny's Christmas without, again, hearing my mom singing along in my head. That music IS the holidays for me. That is what gets me into the spirit of the season more then anything. I always have a craving to bake around this time of year also. My mom used to make a bunch of different kinds of cookies every year for Christmas. She sure can bake! Thanks for giving me all of these fun things to do in my own life mom and for instilling in me a love of music (country & others as well) and the ability to laugh & have fun. I can't wait to go home one month from today and spend time with her and with the rest of my family & some friends too. I love this time of year!!!

I'm addicted to YouTube right now. Here is a video of the song they played at the restaurant the other night. Love it!!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I left a comment before but I guess it never showed up so I just wanted to thank you for posting this and telling everyone how great our mom is. I too was embarrassed when she would blare country music. I remember that I used to say that I hated country, but I love it now.I also remember that no one ever asked if I wanted to go to the Garth Brooks concert because they didn't think I liked it and I was mad for a long time. But I'm over it now.