Thursday, November 13, 2008

The theatre the theatre, whatever happened to the theatre...?

If you can name where that quote came from you are #1 on my list of super cool people. And I don't call just anyone super cool. Especially since I don't use the word super very often, and mostly only if I'm mocking something, except this time. It's kind of like so good...but I digress.

A few posts ago Adele asked me what my favorite musical of all time is and boy was I grateful! Thank you to Adele for giving me something to blog about! You saved the day!

So, to be honest, I haven't seen that many musicals. I have seen some and have loved every single one of them but I am not your average mormon girl that grew up on Seven Brides for Seven Brothers or Singin' In The Rain. I did grow up on White Christmas, which is now one of my favorite movies/musicals. Thanks to some of my musical lovin' friends I have seen some new (to me) ones since living in Utah but I want to see more!

To answer, Adele's question. Although before this summer I had never seen it or even heard much of the music, my favorite musical thus far is Les Miserables. No film, play, song etc has caused me to feel such deep emotion as Les Mis did. I think that there were a few things that were going on that made it even more touching to me then it normally wouldn't have been but mostly it is just incredibly beautiful.

I like silly musicals, like High School Musical & Bye Bye Birdie. I love the few good old fashioned musicals like White Christmas. I just want to know which other ones are the very best! The ones that you think I am truly missing out on. Share your suggestions! I will consider them seriously and report back after I watch them! I promise! Maybe I'll go to the library tomorrow and borrow them all so that I can have a Musical Movie Marathon tomorrow night!

7 comments:

Shauna Malia said...

MY FAVORITE CHRISTMAS MOVIE EVER!!!! Hello, White Christmas!!! We should have a party and watch it again! That was SO fun!

Carrie said...

My first thought was "The Music Man" I liked that one a ton! I'll keep you posted on what else I love when it comes to mind! BTW, Gwenie may have a urinary tract infection so I am actually glad I did take her to the doctor through all the silly feelings! Come over again soon!

Carrie said...

I'm SUCH an IDIOT! My all time favorite musical is Phantom of the Opera! Its a must see! I actually got to see that one on Broadway. I cried as the play opened, I was THAT excited! The king and I is good too! I adore Little Shop of Horrors! Evita. Fiddler on the Roof. Rent, even with its content, the music is FANTASTIC! Very sad though. Grease, of course! The Sound of Music. Sweeney Todd's music is great, but don't see the new movie! West Side Story, Hairspray, and South Pacific. There are many more, but those are the ones I think of immediately! So that was a nice random list! Cats, I almost forgot Cats!

Shauna Malia said...

I've got to say my favorite since I was a very little girl has been "Into the Woods". I absolutely adore Sondheim (the mad scientist of musical theatre)! But I am also a huge fan of "7 Brides for 7 Brothers," "Cry Baby," "Singin' in the Rain," "White Christmas" (of course!), and a lesser known but totally awesome "Rock'a'bye Baby" with Jerry Lewis. :)

merrilykaroly said...

I totally agree with Carrie on Evita (good music, although the content isn't the best) and West Side Story.

I got to see Les Mis on Broadway in New York! It really was a beautiful experience. I've also seen the Lion King (in L.A.). If you can ever get tickets to that play it's soooooo worth it. Sure the music is good, but the cast and the set are so amazing. So amazing. So amazing. Hehe sorry.

Hmm...what else... I know this is silly, but I really loved the movie Enchanted. The music was so catching! I also love Prince of Egypt (does that one even count?) And there are tons more, but those are the ones that come to mind at the moment.

It's funny because I was actually hoping you'd do a post when I asked the question :)

Brian said...

If we have another White Christmas party, can Daniel and I push another car out of the ditch again? That was really fun!

Kevin and Laura said...

So apparently I'm the rebellious one on here but I also love Rent (the play though, not the movie!), Chicago, and Grease (never knew how dirty it was until I was in high school--i've been watching that movie since I was 5).

On a more wholesome note...you gotta check out Oklahoma. It can be pretty hokey, but I LOVE THAT PLAY. I have seen it in 4 different forms and loved them all! I saw it on Broadway in NYC, at LR when it was the high school play, Glendale Arizona Stake Play, and the movie of course. It is just a feel good musical. Hugh Jackman is the lead in the movie...not bad to look at either...

You already know all about Les Mis, so I won't even go there.

I think that's good for now.

Also, what was the quote from in your subject?